categories

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Importance of Godly Music

Random Thought of Conviction: The Importance of Godly Music


"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed." -- Proverbs 13:20

Music has an effect on you on the subconscious level; it is similar to wind. You can feel it, and see the effects of it, but you cannot see it. It moves your emotions, feelings, etc.  --(taken from a sermon by Yuriy Kravets Jr. called Overview of Discernment in Music, Ephrata Ministries)





One cannot overstate the importance of music in the life of the American Christian. At least, not in my life. I am not a talented musician or anything (although I can play the more simple type of chords on a guitar and do some songs pretty well--- none of the finger plucking stuff or bar chords), but music plays a huge role in my life. I suspect it does for just about everyone, perhaps with some exceptions.

It is pretty much a fact that music moves you. It changes your disposition, your attitude, your feelings. It is a deeply spiritual matter. Scientific studies pretty much prove this, but the Bible, long ago, bore out this truth in 1Samuel, with the story of David and Saul. You know the story, so I will not repeat it here, but here is the "proof text", if you will:

"And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him." -- 1Samuel 16:23

I have a hard time believing this was some sort of rare occasion. I have been learning through experience recently, that the spirit world plays a much higher role in our lives than we like to give it credit for.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." -- Ephesians 6:12

This is a fact that I pray our friends over at Trad Youth would grasp and understand. Much of our struggle, both against personal sin, and against sin on a broad, national scale, has to do with the spirit world. So to fight with human strength, use human wisdom, and human tactics, is utterly futile. I suppose it would be like trying to fight off computer hacking, viruses, and such, with guns and swords. It aint gonna work!

Music can be used as a spiritual weapon against the enemy. I have consistently observed in my own life, that I am usually doing my best when I have been listening to Christ honoring music, that lifts my spirit up to God; particularly the music of Keith Green. I have literally found no better way to overcome struggles in my life than to just listen to his (and other godly) music.

Let's take the first part of Proverbs 13:20: "He that walketh with wise men shall be wise..." I will speak about the 2nd part of that verse, in relation to music, perhaps at another time. When you walk with "wise men" (the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom-- Proverbs 9:10, Psalm 111:10), you will begin to walk in the commandments of God and of Christ, and to do his will in everything, including having the right type of attitude and motives.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever." -- Psalm 111:10

You can see how the type of people you associate with, (or in this case the type of music you listen to) is linked together with fearing the LORD, and connected with doing his commandments; and also you see the link back again to "praise" (connected with music). Maybe I am stretching this a bit? Ehh... I'd like to think not.

The times in my life when I am resisting the spirit of God in one area or another, I tend to avoid godly music. In my stubborn pride, I don't want to change. And because I KNOW that godly music will change my attitude and my heart, I avoid it. Very subtle and deceitful our hearts are!

I am not going to speak against other types of music today or speak about discerning between right and wrong music, but very likely I will at another time. I want you to examine your life today and ask yourself if the friends you are surrounding yourself with, and more particularly, the music you are surrounding yourself with on a daily basis, is lifting you up to worship Christ, and giving you a humble, meek, and godly spirit.

Music has been transformational for me and my family. Some families even get to the point where the house is filled with singing all the day long, without the aid of recorded audio music. What a huge blessing! We learned from the Moore Family upon staying at their home a few times, the importance music plays in their home. Before each and every meal, there are songs of praise to the Lord Jesus (a practice we have adopted, although not consistent enough yet). It sets the stage for the entire mood of the family to always be just what it needs to be. The father of the home has great discernment and knows just how to use music to the advantage of raising godly children. And boy, does it show in each and every one of his children, from the oldest to the youngest of their 11.

Please take time to meditate on these things, my brethren, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.

Hans

No comments:

Post a Comment