categories

Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Consequences of Not Taking Dominion (City Slickers)







 I am ashamed to be a city dweller, although our small little city lot is as much of an agrarian homestead as we can make it. The entire back yard is taken by garden, chickens, rabbits (for meat), strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, a fire pit, two compost bins, and so on. That's a lot to cram into such a small space. We are thankful our back yard is fenced in.


I know I probably heard this from someone else before, and surely I am not the first person to say this, but it dawned upon me again today while I was watching my 12 year old daughter, today. She went out to give the chickens some leftover scraps we weren't going to eat. As she was doing this task, she took her time and fed the chickens little pieces at a time. I know her well enough, and know myself well enough (and white folks in general) to know what she was doing and thinking.

My daughter was taking a non-sinful pleasure of exercising dominion. She was undoubtedly thinking something along the lines of: "These chickens are under me, and the power of life and death is in my hands, over them". That probably sounds worse than it actually is; maybe I am not wording that correctly. But there is nothing wrong with the feeling of dominion that men have over God's creation.

"And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
 
And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things."  -- Genesis 9:1-3

After musing on these things a little bit, I realize, like many before me I am sure, that the non-agrarian, city slicker lifestyle (which is anti-Christ-- yes, I did say that) suppresses this God-ordained dominion aspect that all men need. So what happens when children grow up with no outlet for taking dominion over the beasts, fowl, and other creatures? They turn to their only alternative; to take dominion over other men. 

This taking dominion over other men comes in all shades, sorts, and ways. It could be something as simple as wasting their lives on sports, to something more sinister, like killing animals for fun. When they grow up, they find more creative or crafty ways to express dominion over their fellow man. It could be something like joining the military (where they are made out to be heroes for doing villainous acts), or climbing the corporate ladder. There are a million examples of how this can play out, so let your creative mind take over and think of all the evils you see around you, and ask yourself if and how it relates to this subject. It will astound you.

The Christian Agrarian community, based on common religion, culture, and race, is God's way. In general, God's people, as expressed in nations and communities, have always been so. They include among examples, Christian Israel (when they were in obedience to God's law). City dwelling societies are represented by places like Babylon and Rome. 

One of the best visions you can pass down to your children is the Christian Agrarian community. Whatever your situation, do what you can to give your children as many skills as possible, so that when they are grown, they can hit the ground running as much as it is possible.

Hans Gygax

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that more and more, people are even unable to exercise dominion over their own dogs. Their own dogs lead them and refuse to listen to their commands. I've heard that modern animal training books areas the idea that animals should be our friends, not our subordinates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that goes along with the humanization of animals in general. No, your dog is NOT your "son".

    ReplyDelete